Saturday, August 16, 2008

First one, now two!

We are officially a "Boomerang" household now. I have been told this by my two young adult (twenty-something, a year and a half apart) children. Until they decided to inform me of this, I was blissfully unaware of this term, just happy that they both wanted to live at home with us for a while and baking chocolate chip banana bread for them until they cried "Stop! We're getting fat!"



(If this were the cooking/baking blog I have dreamed about writing, that recipe would be inserted here. Trust me, you'd love it.)



I had become accustomed to both of them living away at college until last fall, when my daughter Rebecca decided to come home. Having her here with us has been wonderful, tons of fun, and occasionally trying at times. We are supportive of her being here, and know it's been the best decision for her. In June, my son Brandon was flying out for a visit, and after I confirmed his flight arrival with him in the morning, I got a phone call from him an hour later. "Hey, I'm bringing all my stuff, and staying with you guys for the rest of the summer, K?



Well (very brief caught-off guard moment here) YES! Come home! Love having him here, he's great fun, and it will be good for his sister not to be the only person under 45 in the household (not counting the dogs). Plus, I think it will be good for his well-being to be here with us. (Hint: Our home is not a frat house.) He'll have a roof over his head, three meals a day, A/C, and live in a city that's especially fun for young adults. (Yes, I've been worried about him, stories of his couch-surfing and living on day-old pastries from the coffee ship where he worked have gotten back to me. Not to mention the partying in the aforementioned frat house.) I know he's been working hard out in LA, and want to give him a break from the stress of making rent, worrying about his car breaking down, and not having money for groceries.



I can't stop smiling - to have them both home and not worry about them is a mom's fondest wish. I've dusted off my dilapidated quasi-French Country recipe box from the mid-80s and started cooking all their favorites again. And in the process, learned about a couple of dishes they secretly hated all those years, as well.



(Insert Tuna Boboli recipe here.)

1 comment:

classysbf said...

I look forward to hearing more adventures from the boomerang family.
Not to mention the recipes...:-)